The Wanaque Borough Free Public Library offers all patrons free access to the Internet, a global resource of recorded thought and information. Information found on the Internet can be personally, professionally and culturally enriching. The types and varieties of information found on the Internet are virtually unlimited. However, because of the very nature of the Internet, some material may be considered controversial, offensive, disturbing and / or illegal. The Wanaque Public Library has no control over the quality, authenticity or subject matter found on the Internet, and, thus, it cannot be held responsible for any information that a patron accesses.
Each user must accept responsibility for discerning the quality of information content accessed. And, as with other materials found in the Library, it remains the parents and / or legal guardians of children who are responsible for Internet use by their children. The Wanaque Public Library staff is not responsible for any information accessed by either children or adults.
The Library shall have no liability for direct, indirect or consequential damages related to the use of information accessed on the Internet from Library equipment. Internet users are reminded that not all sources on the Internet provide accurate, complete or current information and that public library workstations are neither private nor secure.
The Children’s Reading Room provides filtered Internet access that aims to block out content deemed objectionable by CIPA. There is no email or chat in the Children’s Reading Room. Users should note that no filtering technology is foolproof nor does it guarantee protection from material that some may personally find inappropriate.
The Adult Reading Room provides a somewhat less restrictive level of filtering. Web-based email is available in the Adult Reading Room. Chat is available upon request by those 18 years of age or older in the Adult Reading Room.
If requested by an adult library user, all filtering can be disabled for his or her individual login. However, users must still comply with Federal and State laws, Library rules and policies, and the terms of applicable contracts including software licenses. Examples include laws of libel, privacy, copyright, trademark, obscenity and child pornography, computer fraud and abuse (hacking and other unlawful activities). Use of the Library’s Internet connection is intended for private, noncommercial activities.
Normally, the Library staff will not monitor or supervise Internet access other than for session duration. However, if Internet use results in disruption of Library services or if patron behavior when using the Internet becomes inappropriate for a library setting – including access to materials that may be considered improper in time, place or manner, or graphic displays, which are inappropriate for an open public environment – the Library reserves the right to end any Internet session at any time.
In order for patrons to have a positive experience using the Internet, the Wanaque Public Library has several guidelines:
- Usage is on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Reservations may be made online. Individual sessions are 60 minutes long.
- Library users may reserve one 60-minute login in advance. Reservation will be held for 10 minutes.
- Library users may claim a second consecutive login only if no one is waiting.
- Maximum daily time online is three hours. Third login may not be consecutive.
- Maximum consecutive time online is two hours, the second hour available only if no one else is waiting.
- All patrons must accept the Library’s Internet Access Policy upon first login.
- All patrons must login using a Passaic County library card barcode number. Borrower status must be in good standing.
- Guest cards are available at the Circulation Desk. Guest users must provide valid ID.
- No information is to be saved to the hard drive of any Library computer.
- 3 ½ inch floppy disks are permitted and available at the Circulation Desk for $1.50.
- No programs may be downloaded.
- Patrons may not install or use outside software on Library equipment.
- Individuals will not alter or damage the Library’s hardware or software.
- Attachment of personal computer equipment is forbidden.
- Printing pages is permitted for a charge of 15 cents per page,even if you bring your own paper.
Adopted by the Board of Trustees
of the Wanaque Borough Free Public Library
November 18, 2003